Not a Mindful Chef customer?
Try healthy and delicious recipe boxes.
Crafted by us. Cooked by you.
- 16 new healthy recipes each week
- 100% dairy and gluten-free
- The UK's highest rated recipe box
A plant-based twist on the Indonesian favourite, we've topped red rice with stir-fried tempeh, fresh ginger, shredded Savoy cabbage and a sprinkling of crunchy cashew nuts.
615 calories • 61g carbs • 27g fat • 31g protein
Nuts, Sesame, Soya
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the red rice and place in a saucepan with 500ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 25-30 mins until cooked, then drain.
2. Cut the tempeh into thin slices.
3. To make the sauce; peel and grate the ginger and garlic. In a bowl, mix the ginger with the garlic, tamari and juice from half the lime. Split the sauce into two bowls and add the tempeh into one of the bowls. Leave to marinate while you cut the vegetables.
4. Trim the root of the Savoy cabbage and finely slice. Dice the red pepper. Finely slice the spring onions, separating the white and green parts. Roughly crush the cashew nuts.
5. In a small frying pan (ideally non-stick), toast the cashew nuts for 3 mins until turning golden. Set aside.
5. In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp sesame oil on a medium heat and cook the tempeh for 7 mins, turning occasionally until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
6. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan with 1 tbsp sesame oil on a medium heat and cook the white spring onions, the red pepper and savoy cabbage for 5 mins. Stir through the sauce and the red rice and cook for a further 2 mins, stirring frequently.
7. Spoon the vegetable rice onto two warm plates, top with the tempeh, toasted cashew nuts and green spring onions.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person