Our festive vegetarian roast is made with chopped chestnuts, cannellini beans, mushrooms, carrot mash and herbs. Chestnuts have a creamy texture, a nutty flavour and are high in fibre and vitamin C.
507 calories • 71g carbs • 17g fat • 15g protein
Celery, Mustard, Nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7 and boil a kettle.
2. Trim the green beans. Peel and cut the carrots into small 1cm pieces. Place in a saucepan, cover with boiling water. Boil for 10 mins until slightly softened. Drain the carrots and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, peel and cut the parsnips into thin batons. Roughly chop the chestnuts. Thinly slice the mushrooms, crush the garlic and roughly chop the parsley. Heat a small frying pan with 1 tsp oil and cook the garlic and mushrooms for 5 mins.
4. Roughly mash the carrots. Drain and mash the cannellini beans and mix with the carrot, chestnuts, mushrooms, parsley, dried sage, Dijon mustard, half of the ground hazelnuts and season.
5. Form the mix into two loaf shapes (3cm thick), sprinkle with the remaining ground hazelnuts and place on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Place the parsnips on the same tray with 2 tsp oil, and pinch of sea salt and the dried thyme. Place in the oven for 15 mins. After this time, add the green beans to the baking tray with 1 tsp oil and cook for 10 mins.
6. To make a cranberry sauce; in a saucepan, place the maple syrup, cranberries and 150ml boiling water and simmer for 5 mins.
7. Serve the chestnut roasts on two warm plates and spoon over the cranberry sauce. Serve alongside the green beans and parsnips.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person