A deliciously creamy chicken & sweet potato curry made with garam masala, a warming mix of ground spices including cardamom, cumin, pepper, cloves and cinnamon. We serve this alongside wild rice which contains twice the amount of zinc and 8 times the amount of vitamin E as brown rice.
630 calories • 61g carbs • 25g fat • 41g protein
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4 and boil a kettle. Rinse the wild rice and add to a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 25-30 mins until cooked, then drain.
2. Dissolve the creamed coconut in a jug with 200ml boiling water.
3. Peel and finely chop the ginger. Finely chop the garlic and finely slice the onion. Peel and cut the sweet potato into 1cm cubes. Slice the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
4. Place the sweet potato on a baking tray and toss with 1 tsp oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Place in the oven for 20 mins, turning halfway through cooking.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a large pan on a medium heat and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and curry leaves for 3 mins. Then add the garam masala and chicken and fry for 8 mins until golden brown.
6. Then stir in the turmeric and the creamed coconut, season with sea salt and black pepper and simmer for 10 mins until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the roasted sweet potato and spinach for the last 2 mins of cooking.
7. Serve the Indian chicken and roasted sweet potato curry in two warm bowls alongside the wild rice.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person