Flat iron steak strips cooked in Mexican spices and stuffed into lettuce wraps then topped with a chipotle coconut drizzle and sliced radishes. Radishes, belonging to the brassica family, contain compounds which are thought to be effective in prevention against certain cancers.
619 calories • 48g carbs • 30g fat • 44g protein
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins until cooked, then drain.
2. Thinly slice the onion and red pepper. Thinly slice the radishes and cut in half. Cut the ends off the gem lettuces to separate the leaves.
3. In a bowl, mix half of the Mexican spice with 2 tsp oil, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Rub this mix onto the steaks.
4. Preheat a frying pan to a medium-high heat and cook the steaks for 2-3 mins each side for medium rare or 4-5 mins each side for well done. Remove the steaks from the heat and leave to rest for 5 mins.
5. While the steaks are resting, heat the same frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tsp oil and cook the onion for 3 mins, then add the remaining Mexican spice and the red pepper for a further 3 mins.
6. Meanwhile, boil a kettle. To make a coconut chipotle sauce; dissolve the creamed coconut with 40ml boiling water and mix with the chipotle paste.
7. Thinly slice the steaks. Stuff each gem lettuce leaf (8 per person) with a small spoonful of brown rice, onion, red pepper, 1-2 slices of steak and a few slices of radish. Drizzle over the chipotle sauce and the juice from the lime.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person