This healthy take on rice pudding uses buckwheat groats instead of traditional white rice. Buckwheat is a slow-release carbohydrate, so unlike white rice, it helps to maintain steady blood sugar levels. It's also high in both soluble and insoluble fibre, helping to keep the gut healthy.
Knock-up this decadent dish as an alternative to your morning porridge and get creative with toppings!
1) Rinse soaked buckwheat groats thoroughly, then place in a medium saucepan with the coconut milk and almond milk/water.
2) Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. After 10 minutes, add the agave, coconut palm sugar, miso paste, chia seeds, linseeds (if using), cardamom, coconut oil, vanilla and ginger.
3) Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
4) Add more miso or natural sweetener to taste, along with any other spices or super foods you like. Goji berries and fresh blueberries add a refreshing flavour to the dish.
5) Once the liquid has more or less reduced and is completely absorbed, remove from the heat and serve immediately.
6) Top with coconut milk or coconut cream, fresh fruit or nuts and seeds for a nourishing, filling breakfast.