This gluten-free buckwheat beetroot bake with honeyed seeds from Qnola is lightly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger - the perfect warming breakfast for colder days. Delicious served with coconut yogurt or drenched in nut milk.
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease the base of a baking dish with soft coconut oil and sprinkle with a small amount oof desiccated coconut, to prevent it from sticking.
2) In a bowl mix the buckwheat flakes with the baking powder, spices and salt.
3) Add the grated vegetables, desiccated coconut, chia seeds, vanilla, ground almonds/cashews and mashed chestnuts and stir until combined.
4) Pour this Qnola mixture into your greased baking dish and press down with the back of a spoon until completely compact. Smooth so the mixture is level and then set aside.
5) In a separate bowl, beat the eggs then add the milk and whisk well. By keeping these layers separate you will ensure a result with a soft, moist bottom layer and a sweet, crunchy crumble-like top layer.
6) Pour the egg mixture over the Qnola evenly. Stir gently to ensure all of the dry ingredients get soaked.
7) Fill a separate bowl with the agave/honey, coconut oil, nuts, seeds and quinoa flakes (or top with pre made Qnola after baking, for extra crunch) mixing and rubbing with your hands until everything is coated.
8) Scatter and spread this mixture evenly onto the wet base and bake for 20 – 30 minutes, checking midway.
9) Let cool slightly once removed from the oven and the top layer will crisp up even more.
10) Check with a knife that the bottom is cooked, it should be soft but shouldn’t stick.
11) Serve with organic or dairy free coconut yogurt with organic honey if you like things sweet. Alternatively, drench it in a nut milk of your choice, warm or cold, with a selection of fruit and berries. Enjoy!